Happy St George’s Day
St George’s Day recognises the patron saint of England apparently made famous for slaying a dragon and saving a distressed maiden. It is one of the only other festivals besides a major a football match where you will see England flags flying all over the country.
Multicultural Facts on St George
– He is believed to have been born in Palestine in the 3rd Century AD.
– St George is thought to have first lived in Lydda, near modern day Tel Aviv.
– He was a soldier in the Roman Army.
– St George represents traditional English chivalry and bravery, but he was not actually English at all.
– St George is also the patron saint of several other countries – including Germany, Portugal, Greece, Bulgaria, Georgia, Palestine, Ethiopia, Serbia, Slovinia, Lithuania, Portugal, Malta and Montenegro.